Get to know your members…
As a leader, you might discover many reasons why you want to survey your members. Maybe you wish to survey the needs or wants of your members before an upcoming event, whether it’s for informing new hires or a welcome back social. Or, maybe you want to survey the knowledge of your members regarding an important topic you want to address at an upcoming meeting. Whatever the reason, surveys are a way to collect information directly from people in a systematic, standardized way.
Get the most from your survey
- What is the purpose of the survey?
- Who will use the information?
- How will they use the information?
- What questions will the evaluation seek to answer?
- When are the evaluation results needed? What is the timeline?
- What are your own abilities and skills? Are there others that can help?
- What resources do you have or can access, including time, money, and people?
After you discover the necessity to conduct a survey and you have thought through the desired results, you will need to decide what type of survey to introduce that best meets your needs. For example,
- Through the mail
- Over the telephone
- Face-to-Face interviews
- Paper and Pencil
- Or a combination of the above
A few points to consider as you develop your survey:
- Cost (postage, staffing needs, web-based survey tool fees)
- Timing (how quickly do you need the survey results)
- Audience (members, agency fee payers, retirees, entire local, by age, zip code, etc…)
- Staffing (are you conducting alone, do you have resources)
Sample Survey Questions
Below are sample survey questions that could be used in a survey. For example, if CTA/NEA Member Benefits were about to conduct a Member Benefits training for your members. Depending on the purpose of the survey, the questions will be very different, for example, a general membership survey would look different from a pre-bargaining survey.
- How long have you been an Association member?
- What are your expectations of the Association?
- How would you rate your satisfaction with the Association? School District? Administration?
- What CTA Member Benefits have you used from the list below?
- What NEA Member Benefits have you used from the list below?
- How likely is it that you would recommend the CTA/NEA member benefits you use to a colleague?
- What is your age?
- How do you like to be communicated with?
- Do you blog? Text? Visit web-sites? Facebook? Other social media?
- How would you rate your knowledge of CTA Member Benefits?
- How would you rate your knowledge of NEA Member Benefits?
- Where do you get information about your association Member Benefits?
- What Member Benefits are you interested in learning more about from the list below?
As noted above, you will find many different ways to survey. We have found Survey Monkey useful for our survey needs.
Check out The Survey Monkey Help Center: http://help.surveymonkey.com/categories/getting-started . Here you will find many tutorials on: creating & designing surveys, distributing surveys & getting responses, analyzing results, and much more. Depending on your needs, using Survey Monkey might require a cost:
- Basic subscription: Free, limited to 10 survey questions and 100 participants
- Paid subscription: Select $17, Gold $25, Platinum $65/ ALL per month
For more information on designing a survey from the different types of questions to tips to creating a good survey questionnaire, you might explore: