CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability Insurance from The Standard
Disability insurance helps protect your paycheck if you’re unable to work due to injury, illness (including mental health conditions and substance abuse), pregnancy or childbirth. Benefits are paid directly to you and can be used for expenses health insurance doesn’t cover.
- Replaces up to 75% of your daily income1
- Starts paying benefits after you are out of work for 7 consecutive workdays2
- Covers any preexisting conditions once you are enrolled and work for 10 consecutive workdays
- Includes additional Student Loan and Cancer Benefits for eligible members3
What is Disability Insurance?
Student Loan and Cancer Benefits3
Participants on an approved Disability claim under the CTA-endorsed Disability insurance plan may also be eligible for additional Student Loan and Cancer Benefits:
- Student Loan Benefit: Active CTA members approved for a disability claim with an active Student Loan may be eligible for an additional benefit of up to $400 per month while you remain disabled (maximum benefit $2,400, not to exceed the balance of the student loan).
- Cancer Benefit: Active CTA members approved for a disability claim due to cancer may be eligible for an additional benefit of up to $200 per month while you remain disabled (maximum benefit $1,000).
Both benefits are paid directly to members on top of disability benefits from The Standard and can be used to pay for everyday expenses like student loans, rent/mortgage, or childcare.
Why Get Disability Insurance
Most school districts don’t provide Disability insurance to their employees and most CTA members aren't eligible for California's state disability insurance program. This means you may be left with only sick leave to protect you if you are unable to work due to illness, injury, pregnancy or childbirth. The CTA-endorsed Disability insurance plan was designed to help California educators and education support professionals get quality paycheck protection at group rates.
How to Apply
CTA members can apply any time with satisfactory proof of good health.
There are multiple ways to apply:
- Apply online (you must be logged in to your CTA Member Benefits account to access)
- Call The Standard at 800.522.0406, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Schedule a virtual appointment with a Benefits Consultant from The Standard
Special Enrollment Opportunities
You may be eligible to apply for CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability and Life insurance without answering health questions during these special enrollment opportunities:
- New Hire and District Transfer Enrollment
Members new to their district have 270 days from starting work to apply for CTA-endorsed Disability insurance and, effective July 1, 2022, up to $400,000 of CTA-endorsed Life insurance4 with no health questions asked. If you had coverage with The Standard at your prior district, you must reapply at the new school district as the coverage doesn’t automatically transfer to the new employer. Learn More
- Family Status Change Enrollment
Members can apply for CTA-endorsed Disability insurance and, effective July 1, 2022, up to $400,000 of CTA-endorsed Life insurance4 coverage within 60 days following the date of a family status change event, such as birth/adoption, marriage/domestic partnership, divorce/dissolution, loss of spousal employment or other qualifying event. Learn More
- Chapter Special Enrollment
A special enrollment opportunity for eligible members of a local CTA chapter to apply without answering health questions – only available every 2-3 years. Talk with your chapter leader about your next special enrollment opportunity.
1 Daily income is based on your regular daily contract salary. Benefits will be reduced by deductible income. Examples of deductible income include: personal leave pay, severance pay, substitute differential pay, catastrophic/extraordinary leave bank, salary continuation, workers’ compensation, work earnings, social security, state disability, CalPERS/CalSTRS benefits.
2 Workdays means any Regular Day(s) of Required Attendance you are required to be actively at work based on the calendar dates of the school calendar and your employment contract in effect on the date you become disabled.
3 Student Loan Benefit and Cancer Benefit are offered to eligible members on approved Disability claims under the CTA-endorsed Disability insurance plan who meet specific criteria.
4 Coverage reduces to 65% of the amount in force at age 70, 45% of the amount in force at age 75 and 30% of the amount in force at age 80. Offer not available to retirees.
For costs and further details of this offer and coverage, including exclusions, benefit waiting periods, any reductions or limitations and the terms under which the policies may be continued in force, please contact Standard Insurance Company at 800.522.0406.