CTA Death and Dismemberment (D&D) Plan
The CTA Death and Dismemberment (D&D) Plan is an automatic benefit available to eligible CTA members at no additional cost. If an eligible CTA member dies or suffers a dismemberment (i.e., suffers a loss of limb or other qualifying injury), her/his beneficiary(ies) will receive a lump-sum cash payment.
- Provided by the CTA Economic Benefits Trust
- A Death Benefit of up to $2,000
- An Accidental Death and Accidental Dismemberment Benefit of up to $10,000
- A $50,000 Benefit if the member dies or suffers a dismemberment due to an accident or assault while engaged in any activity which was in the expressed or implied terms of his or her occupation, or while acting in the capacity of an Association Leader
- A life insurance benefit that increases with each year of continuous CTA membership, until the maximum benefit is reached after ten (10) years
Coverage begins September 1 following the date an individual becomes an eligible CTA member and ends on the September 1st following the date a person ceases to be an eligible CTA member, unless such person renews his or her CTA membership prior to that September 1st. When coverage ends, all previous years of continuous membership will be forfeited.
As summarized in the following table, benefits under the CTA D&D Plan are based on the:
- CTA member’s years of continuous CTA membership
- Cause of death or extent of dismemberment
|Years of Continuous Membership
||Accidental Death & Accidental Dismemberment (AD&D) Benefit
||Occupation/Association Leader AD&D Benefit
|10 or more years
||$2,000 (Maximum Benefit)
||$10,000 (Maximum Benefit)
||$50,000 (Maximum Benefit)
Although no enrollment is required for eligible members to receive coverage under the CTA D&D Plan, eligible CTA members should designate (a) beneficiary(ies). If there is no named beneficiary(ies) or the beneficiary(ies) dies before the member, benefits will be paid in the following preference order:
- Spouse/Domestic Partner*
- Brothers and sisters
- Executor or administrator
*Effective for deaths occurring after December 31, 2009, a domestic partner pursuant to a Certificate of Registered Domestic Partnership issued in accordance with California state law.
To register your beneficiary: CTA Death & Dismemberment Beneficiary Registration
For more information on the CTA D&D Plan or to file a claim, please contact the CTA Member Benefits Department as soon as possible. There are important filing deadlines that may apply.
This is not a complete description of the Plan. For a complete description, please refer to the booklet entitled “CTA Death & Dismemberment and Summary Plan Description,” a copy of which is provided to all eligible CTA members. You can also obtain a copy by contacting the CTA Member Benefits Department at (650) 552-5200 or SPD@cta.org (name and address required).
CTA Guide to Death Benefits
Important Contact Information
Below is a chart with important telephone numbers and contact information that should be provided to the surviving spouse or beneficiary.