Once logged in, ctamemberbenefits.org is a place for CTA members to meet, interact, and share ideas with each other. In doing so, it is important that members build a community that is based on clarity of purpose, trust, and boundaries, the same issues that exist in a real-world community.
As in any community, including a cyber-community, members have different opinions and choose to express those ideas in many ways. However, community is most effective when its members remember a few rules that foster respect for individuals, groups, and the organization. It is CTA Member Benefits’ intent to provide its members with the best service possible through the website, as it does in all other areas of member service. To accomplish this task, the CTA Board of Directors has adopted this policy to outline acceptable use on ctamemberbenefits.org. To participate in this site, you must follow the policies outlined below and in the expanded Acceptable Use Policy that follows this brief summary.
The use of the logged in area of this site is for CTA members only and it is dedicated to providing an opportunity for users to exchange ideas and opinions regarding education — pre-kindergarten through university.
As a user of this site, you agree not to impersonate any person or entity, including but not limited to, an official of CTA or its affiliated local associations, or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
You agree not to forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any text, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video or other materials.
You agree not to harm minors in any way.
You agree not to post any material or lines to any material that you know to be false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person’s privacy, or that otherwise violate any local, state, or federal law.
You further agree not to transmit or otherwise make available any content that infringes any patent, trademark, copyright, or other proprietary rights of any party.
You also agree not to transmit or make available any content containing any “virus,” “worm,” “Trojan horse,” or any computer code, file, or program designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
CTA Member Benefits reserves the right to edit or delete any message.
Messages that do not relate to education or the issues outlined in CTA policy will not be posted.
Messages may not be posted in “real time.” CTA Member Benefits reserves the right to post messages only after they have been reviewed by a moderator.
All messages posted on ctamemberbenefits.org express only the views of the author of the message and do not necessarily reflect the views of CTA Member Benefits Department.
CTA Member Benefits uses moderators to monitor the content and appearance of messages posted. Users agree that neither any posting, nor any CTA Member Benefits moderator/editors associated with their modification, will be held responsible for the content, accuracy, completeness, validity, nor character of any information posted there.
CTA Member Benefits strongly discourages the visible posting of personal email addresses within the body of any message on its site, except where CTA Member Benefits deems it necessary for member service (i.e., email addresses of CTA offices). Responses may be unwelcome, inappropriate, offensive, abusive, hateful, obscene, or threatening. In using any part of ctamemberbenefits.org, users agree to take full responsibility for any personal distress that could result from such action.
CTA Member Benefits reserves the right to change or modify these policies and disclaimers as necessary and without prior notice.
It is the responsibility of all ctamemberbenefits.org website users and members who have access to the site, to comply with this Policy. It is your responsibility to secure your computer equipment so that it is not subject to external threats such as viruses, spam and other methods of intrusion. Failure to comply with these or other policies could result in the suspension or termination of your access to the members only area of ctamemberbenefits.org. If you do not agree to abide by all of these policies, you must immediately stop using the members only area and notify CTA Member Benefits so that your account access may be closed.
CTA Member Benefits reserves the right to terminate your use of the members only area of ctamemberbenefits.org if you engage in any of the prohibited activities listed in these Terms, or if you use ctamemberbenefits.org in a way that is contrary to any of these Terms. You must adhere strictly to any policy set forth by any service provider accessed through ctamemberbenefits.org as well. You should be aware that CTA policies are constantly changed and updated by vote of both the CTA Board of Directors and the CTA State Council of Education at regularly scheduled meetings (monthly for the CTA Board; quarterly for the State Council). Any policy changes that affect ctamemberbenefits.org will be considered adopted as soon as action is taken by the appropriate CTA governance body and you will be responsible for adhering to those policies immediately.
Prohibited Uses and Activities
Prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, using ctamemberbenefits.org to:
1. Undertake or accomplish any unlawful purpose. This includes posting, sorting, transmitting or disseminating information, data or materials that is libelous, obscene, unlawful, threatening, defamatory, or infringes the intellectual property rights of any person or entity, or that in any way constitutes or encourage conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any local, state, federal or international law, order or regulation.
2. Post, store, send, transmit, or disseminate any information or material that a reasonable person could deem to be objectionable, offensive, indecent, pornographic, harassing, threatening, embarrassing, distressing, vulgar, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive, or otherwise inappropriate, regardless or whether this material or its dissemination is unlawful.
3. Upload, “hotlink,” post, publish, transmit, reproduce, create derivative works or distribute in any way information, software or other material obtained through ctamembenefits.org that is protected by copyright or other proprietary right, without obtaining permission of the owner.
4. Restrict, inhibit, or otherwise interfere with the ability of any other person, regardless of intent, purpose, or knowledge, by posting or transmitting any information software that contains a worm, virus, or other harmful features or generating levels of traffic sufficient to impede others’ ability to send or retrieve information.
5. Transmit unsolicited bulk or commercial messages or “spam.” This includes unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, or other solicitation materials, bulk mailing of commercial advertising, chain mail, informational announcements, charity requests and petitions for signature.
6. Send numerous copies of the same or substantially similar messages, empty messages, or messages that contain no substantive content or send very large messages or files to a recipient that disrupts a server, account, newsgroup, or chat service.
7. Initiate, perpetuate or in any way participate in any pyramid or other illegal soliciting scheme.
8. Participate in the collection of email addresses, screen names, or other identifiers or others (spidering or harvesting) or participate in the use of software (including “spyware”) designed to facilitate this activity.
9. Collect responses from unsolicited messages.
10. Impersonate any person or entity, engage in sender falsification, forge anyone else’s digital manual signature or perform any other similar fraudulent activity.
11. Collect, or attempt to collect, personal information about third parties without their consent.
12. Violate the rules, regulations, or policies applicable to any network, servers, computer databases or websites that you access.
You are responsible for any misuse on ctamemberbenefits.org, even if the misuse was committed by a friend, family member, or guest with access to the members only area of ctamemberbenefits.org.
Therefore, you must take steps to ensure that others do not use your account to gain unauthorized access to the members only area of ctamemberbenefits.org by strictly maintaining the confidentiality of your login and password. In all cases, you are solely responsible for any data stored on your home computer that has been downloaded from ctamemberbenefits.org.
Inappropriate Content and Transmission
CTA Member Benefits reserves the right, but not the obligation, to refuse to transmit or post and to remove or block any information or materials, in whole or in part, that it, in its sole discretion deems to be offensive, indecent, or otherwise inappropriate, regardless or whether the materials or its dissemination is unlawful. Neither CTA Member Benefits nor any of its affiliates or agents has any obligation to monitor transmissions or postings including, but not limited to, email, comments, blog posts, as well as any information available on ctamemberbenefits.org. However, CTA and its affiliates have the right to monitor these transmissions and postings from time to time for violations of this Policy and to disclose, block, or remove them in accordance with these Terms and any other CTA agreements and policies.
CTA Member Benefits is committed to complying with U.S. copyright and related laws, and requires all members and users of ctamemberbenefitrs.org to comply with these laws. Accordingly, you may not post or disseminate any material or content in any manner that constitutes an infringement of third party intellectual property rights, including rights granted by U.S. copyright law. CTA Member Benefits reserves the right to terminate its usage to any member or user who is either found to infringe on copyright or other intellectual property rights, including those that CTA Member Benefits believes, in its sole discretion, is infringing these rights. CTA Member Benefits may terminate usage at any time without notification for any affected member or user.
By submitting content to be included on ctamemberbenefits.org via Forums, a feedback form, or other means, you represent and warrant that:
You own all the legal rights to the content that you submit,
Publication of the content on ctamemberbenefits.org will not infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary right of any party, and
You have complied with this Policy.
You also grant CTA and its affiliates:
A nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable and fully sub-licensable right to use, represent, modify, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content to the world in any medium.
The right to use the name and contact information that you submit in connection with such content as they so choose. You agree that you will not be compensated for any content you submit to ctamemberbenefits.org unless expressly contracted in writing to do so.
ctamemberbenefits.org Lesson Plan Share Center and Social Networking Policy
ctamemberbenefits.org is a place where CTA members are free to share information and exchange ideas and opinions in a collegial way.
The healthy exchange of diverse ideas and opinions is essential to a vital and useful online community. Ideas and opinions found in the comments sections of ctamemberbenefits.org do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of CTA or its Affiliates.
Posts that contain offensive language or incendiary remarks are not allowed on the site. The purpose of this site is to encourage knowledge sharing and provide support for educators.
Users may not:
- Post any content, including photos, that is unlawful, fraudulent, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable, as determined by CTA editors.
- Post complaints about individuals or personal grievances. Such postings are not appropriate and will be deleted.
- Post any content that infringes any copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, or other proprietary rights of any party. (Linking to copyrighted material is legal and is permitted.)
- Post or link to sexually explicit material.
- Impersonate any person or entity, including but not limited to an official of CTA or its affiliates, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Post or link to any advertising, promotional materials, or other forms of commercial solicitation.
CTA Member Benefits may at any time, without prior notice and at the sole discretion of its editors, remove any post or terminate discussion board posting privileges for violating the above guidelines.
Dealings with Advertisers
To defray the costs associated with providing ctamemberbenefits.org, CTA Member Benefits may sell advertising space on this site. CTA Member Benefits does not examine or evaluate the products, services, or offerings of advertisers found on ctamemberbenefits.org, except those specifically listed as “endorsed” by CTA Member Benefits. Accordingly CTA Member Benefits does not warrant any products, services, or offerings of such advertisers. Your correspondence with or dealings with such advertisers are solely between you and the advertiser. You acknowledge that CTA Member Benefits shall not be held liable for any loss or damage incurred as a result of any such contract or dealings.
Violation of Acceptable Use Policy
CTA Member Benefits routinely monitors the activity of ctamemberbenefits.org postings, messages, lesson plans, or comments for violation of this Policy. In its effort to promote good citizenship within the Internet community, CTA Member Benefits will respond appropriately if CTA Member Benefits becomes aware of inappropriate use of this service. Although CTA Member Benefits has no obligation to monitor ctamemberbenefits.org postings and the network, CTA Member Benefits reserves the right at any time to monitor usage, transmissions, and content from time to time; to identify violations of this policy, and to protect the network, ctamemberbenefits.org, CTA, and its members.
CTA Member Benefits requires that its users maintain appropriate and courteous behavior at all times. CTA Member Benefits will attempt to advise members of inappropriate behavior and any necessary corrective actions. However, if ctamemberbenefits.org is used in a way that CTA or its affiliates, at their sole discretion, believe violates this Policy, CTA Member Benefits may take any responsive actions it deems necessary. These actions include, but are not limited to, temporary or permanent removal of content, cancellation of postings, filtering in Internet transmissions, and the immediate suspension or termination of all or any portion of its service. Neither ctamemberbenefits.org nor CTA or its affiliates or agents have any liability for any of these responses. In addition, these actions are not ctamemberbenefits.org's exclusive remedies and CTA Member Benefits may take any other legal or technical action it deems appropriate.
The failure of CTA Member Benefits to enforce these Terms, for whatever reason, shall not be construed as waiver of any right to do so at any time. You agree that if any portion of these Terms is held invalid or unenforceable, that portion will be construed consistent with applicable law as nearly as possible, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless ctamemberbenefits.org, CTA, and its affiliates and agents against claims and expenses (including reasonable attorney fees) resulting from your engaging in any of the prohibited activities listed in these Terms. Your indemnification will survive any termination of these Terms.